An example of our work: Moldova
Since 2013, six FIRE AID members supported by 7 different UK fire services have been working in the Republic of Moldova to provide much needed equipment and training to the national fire service.
At the time of starting there were:
- 144 fire appliances covering the whole country. This is 92 fewer than the recommended minimum number.
- 8 appliances fit for responding to road traffic collisions.
- 7% of appliances that fell within the government’s terms of service.
- 93% of appliances were more than 13 years old.
“Upon our arrival at the fire station [in Edinet, Moldova], I was shocked to see that our appliance would be replacing a 1967 water tanker. The station actually had two of them, but only one had a pump. It was then that I was able to fully appreciate the significance of our journey, and the impact that the donation would have on saving lives in Moldova.”
Identify the needs of a country or region
Understand their post-crash systems and capacities
Develop an intervention strategy
Develop and deliver bespoke training alongside relevant equipment provision.
Develop sustainable strategies
Water rescue boats
Personal protective equipment sets
Breathing apparatus sets
Road traffic collison sets
Water rescue equipment
- Trained over 1,200 fire fighters delivered by over 50 volunteer UK fire and rescue expert instructors.
- Hosted over 10 delegates in the UK for training with the UK fire and rescue service.
- Educated over 2,500 school children.
- Introduced EASST Road Safety Education Pack into Moldovan national curriculum thanks to the support of the Moldovan Government.
- This equipment and training has saved over 200 lives
“The road traffic equipment is very useful to us. We have never had this before, and the training provided meant we were able to learn how to use the equipment too. This road traffic collision equipment will allow us to save more lives where we previously wouldn’t have been able to.”
Contact us today to find out how you can be involved in the life-saving work that FIRE AID and our partners are involved in throughout the world.