Since 2007 Operation Florian has been actively engaged in supporting the capacity building of the local and national fire and rescue service supporting key elements of the national platform for disaster risk reduction. So far the following has been achieved with Florian’s support to Macedonia still ongoing:
• Donated 17 fully equipped fire appliances, 300 breathing apparatus sets, 30 sets of hydraulic rescue equipment and hundreds of sets of PPE,
• Assisted over 25 municipalities enhancing fire and rescue response capacities,
• Trained over 200 firefighters in effective firefighting and rescue techniques including pump and ladders, emergency fire appliance driving, breathing apparatus, road traffic collision rescue and first aid,
• Working in partnership with national stakeholders such as ZELS (Local Self Government Units) and the Directorate of Protection and Rescue advising on improved consultation of fire service issues and guiding national strategies for preparedness
• Delivering workshops on community safety strategies with fire service personnel and developing school education programmes.
- Working in partnership with the Macedonian Red Cross to develop first aid / basic life saving skills training packages and instructor training.
• Launch of Toyota Fund for Europe road safety campaign. Read More.
• Donated 2 inshore water rescue boats and outboard motors to the Ohrid Red Cross branch. Read More.
In May 2014 Operation Florian’s Macedonian team, as part of its continuing programme of capacity building of municipal fire services, successfully supported the first Macedonian National Extrication Challenge and developed a national road safety schools programme to be delivered by firefighters in September 2014. Both elements of the project were supported by the Toyota Fund for Europe. The extrication challenge represents a significant step in the overall development of the rescue capacity of the fire services in Macedonia. It was attended by over 150 firefighters from around the country and 50 firefighters competed in 8 regional teams at the Boris Trajkovski Sports Arena in Skopje. It was the first event of its kind in the country, combining a range of technical and challenging rescue scenarios for each team, and a platform to present key road safety themes to over 150 visiting members of the public and school children. Read more: FIRE AID website
In May 2015, Florian delivered tactical ventilation firefighting training in partnership with the Municipality of Tetovo. Read more.
In May 2016, Florian delivered Macedonia’s first ever joint emergency service inter-operability training. Read More
Read more about Florian’s support to Macedonia: Operation Florian website